Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon steed 376 posts 688 karma points
    Mar 22, 2011 @ 16:30
    Simon steed

Major problems upgrading 4.5.2 (.net 3.5) to 4.7 (.net 4) - Could not load type 'umbraco.Singleton`1' from assembly 'umbraco

One of my biggest gripes I have with Umbraco is the crazy way to upgrade an existing version - other CMS's like Composite etc seem to handle all this nicely, Umbraco relies upon copying files manually, changing web.config etc etc

OK i've got a client site, built and running on 4.5.2 .net 3.5 and works well - however I'd like to upgrade to 4.7, one reason to use some of the new features, main reason to see if a bug with the api has been fixed.

So I copy over the relevant files, delete the scripting.dll and iron* from bin and run the installer. I get the yellow screen of death telling me that Microsoft.Scripting.ExtensionAttributes is not found - true enough it's not there but was never there before. It's not in 4.7.0.378 zip but I do find it in an old 4.5.1 release. I copy it over and the installer goes ahead and upgrades the DB etc.

I then goto the front end of the site and notice that my XSLT menus/headers etc fail to load. I then goto the back end CMS and after entering my login details get the following YSOD:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Could not load type 'umbraco.Singleton`1' from assembly 'umbraco, Version=1.0.4090.38017, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'umbraco.Singleton`1' from assembly 'umbraco, Version=1.0.4090.38017, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'umbraco.Singleton`1' from assembly 'umbraco, Version=1.0.4090.38017, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.]
    TheOutfield.UmbExt.DocTypeExtensions.Actions.ExtractMasterDocTypeAction.get_Instance() +0

[TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.]
    System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner) +0
    System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(IRuntimeMethodInfo method, Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeType typeOwner) +72
    System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) +335
    System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) +28
    System.Reflection.RuntimePropertyInfo.GetValue(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] index, CultureInfo culture) +63
    System.Reflection.RuntimePropertyInfo.GetValue(Object obj, Object[] index) +19
    umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions.Action.RegisterIActions() +203
    umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions.Action.ReRegisterActionsAndHandlers() +87
    umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions.Action..cctor() +222

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions.Action' threw an exception.]
    umbraco.BusinessLogic.Actions.Action.GetJavaScriptFileReferences() +0
    umbraco.cms.presentation._umbraco.RenderActionJS() +43
    umbraco.cms.presentation._umbraco.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1714
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
    System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
    System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
    umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +14
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.1

SO what gives? Has anyone upgraded a 4.5.2 site to 4.7? Should I try upgrading to 4.6.1 first then 4.7 or am I not allowed to upgrade this site?

I've had 4.7RC working before on this machine with no real problems, wondering if I should try that?

Any help appreciated!

Si

• Steven Newstead 62 posts 103 karma points
    Mar 23, 2011 @ 16:00
    Steven Newstead

I do dislike upgrades!

Had a bit of a search and came up with this:

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/tea-commerce/tea-commerce-support/16278-Install-fails-on-Umbraco-461

The bottom of the comment on this post suggests that some code was moved in 4.6.2 and so if there are any packages that use this will blow up. Could you see what packages you have installed to see if there is an upgrade path for them?

Cheers,

Steve

• Christian Liebe-Harkort 56 posts 104 karma points
    Mar 23, 2011 @ 16:11
    Christian Liebe-Harkort

HI Simon,

I upgraded a 4.5.1 site to 4.7 some days ago and experienced some of the same problems you describe, especially with the xslt macros not working anymore. 

To Upgrade I deleted /bin/Microsoft.Scripting.dll, /bin/Iron * .dll, /bin/RazorEngine * .dll and added the new sections to the web.config.

After that the XSLT was not working anymore. I copied back Microsoft.Scripting.dll and everything seems to work fine now.You might also want to check permissions for NETWORKSERVICE and IIS_Users and also could try to restart the website in IIS (just an idea). 

maybe this helps

Christian

Mar 23, 2011 @ 16:27
    Simon steed

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Steven, there are no packages on this site so none to upgrade, good point though as I never even thought that could be an issue which may occur on some other sites i'll be upgrading soon.

Christian - that worked for the front end i.e. the xslt macros started to work although still could not login to the backend. Got a message from @UnwindSoftware which did the trick - basically deleted all the files in the bin folder and copied over fresh from the 4.7 install - that allows me to login backend and also the frontend works without needing to copy over Microsoft.Scripting.dll which is a bonus - pia though!

Cheers all, now seems resolved but will be doing a lot of testing just to be sure :-)

Si

• Rich Haigh 4 posts 25 karma points
    Apr 19, 2011 @ 15:20
    Rich Haigh

Si,

Thanks for posting this, you've just saved me hours of shouting at the computer trying to find this.

Rich

Apr 19, 2011 @ 15:35
    Simon steed

No probs, glad it helped :-)

• Daniel Kolev 4 posts 24 karma points
    May 18, 2011 @ 12:44
    Daniel Kolev

I just changed the database and I received this esception.

Great!

May 18, 2011 @ 12:50
    Simon steed

Well hopefully my post will help you solve it.....

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft